Digitization projects of public and private archives have been institutionalized since years in order to address societal issues of compliance, conservation, publishing and accessibility.
As the guardians of a priceless cultural and historic heritage, archives collect, conserve and communicate to the public all of the publicly archived materials (governmental organizations, municipalities, public institutions) and they are also responsible for private archives (corporations, unions, associations, private individuals, etc.,…) that are of major historical interest. To cope with increasing demands for access to archives, on online libraries, owners are engaging archive digitization projects.
An archive digitization project has more than one interest:
- To meet the challenge of preserving the collective historical memory while limiting risks of deterioration due to handling and moving of the original documents,
- To facilitate access and viewing of the archives on an online library,
- To reduce the operating costs of archival services.
i2s DigiBook offers the most complete solutions, in 3 steps, for archive digitization projects:
The first stage of an archive digitization project is to fund the most appropriate scanning solution. Thanks to i2s DigiBook the most complete range of scanning solutions, archive digitization can be applied to any kind of archive documents in various formats: civil status registers, parish records, parchment paper, old books, maps, posters, cadaster, postcards… These scanning solutions guarantee both productivity and high image quality, from 300 to 1000 dpi, consequently making easier to zoom on images or even to re-print of archive documents.
In a second step, LIMB solution makes possible to process, enrich and convert digital archive. Limb makes easier to process to mass digitization on raw data, to both structure and enrich the documents (knowledge management), to share knowledge on different media (Internet, smartphone, touchpads…), and to make documents permanent.
Final step, LIMB Gallery solution makes possible to present and promote digital archives, includes a search engine that optimizes the semantic relevance and makes easier to refine research, and makes these archives shareable and interoperable.
Over a hundred of public and private archives, including more than ten national archives, have made their digitization projects possible with i2s DigiBook .
In addition, i2S DigiBook are able to work with their customers for the full duration of their projects. Specialists are on hand to assist them in identifying their requirements, guiding them towards the solutions best suited to their problems and assisting them in the implementation and optimization of their products.
i2s DigiBook solutions’ benefits for digitization and accessibility to archive knowledge:
- Long lifetime and preservation of fragile and precious works
- Saving of a copy of the original documents in electronic format,
- Limitation of risks related to the handling or distribution of documents.
- Database organization
- Better document classification,
- Ease of retrieval,
- Reduced communication time.
- Better service to the public
- Ease of viewing documents on-site or remotely (digitized documents can be viewed instantly and simultaneously in multiple locations), through an online library,
- Ease of reproduction (printing) or transfer (USB key, server, Internet).
- Development of knowledge sharing
- Access to documents not generally available to the general public because of their great value and fragility,
Organization of educational, scientific and cultural demonstrations (exhibitions, events, publications, virtual books, web sites, etc.).